Monday, August 19, 2013

culture, violence, creativity

This past week, I have said goodbye to a friend, translated a personal hygiene/gynecology workshop, eaten in a classy German-Bolivian home, worshiped at a wonderful church, visited an art exhibit, done some homework at my favorite coffee shop, and (of course) gone on many photo walks. There is a rhythm to things, but there is also constant change--new people, new circumstances, new expectations.

out on a photo walk [early July]








 





 

I've caught myself feeling pressure from who-knows-where quite frequently over the past few weeks. In part I think it is because of my large and looming independent study project (ISP) which, while I am very excited about it, seems a little daunting at this point. I'm doing an ethnographic study of the intersection of culture, violence, and creativity, which will involve teaching and talking to the girls at Albergue about their art, going to art exhibits/arts-related events, and interviewing artists, cultural directors, and art teachers. I am slowly figuring out how to break into the "art world" and am beginning to process how it is that my students perceive beauty and exercise creative agency, but I am still left a little overwhelmed and confused about the whole thing right now.

At the same time, as I put all this pressure on myself I am reminded that I by no means am doing this by my own power. Walking with God means acknowledging His power that works through me. It means allowing His peace to be bigger than my problems. It means I am dependent. Yet again, I am re-learning this very simple yet so very challenging lesson.

The covenant that the other interns and I wrote reminds me of this beautiful dependency each day:

Lord, like Peter, we are a people who,
Seeing You before us, step out into the waves.
Acknowledging our fearfulness, we trust that You meet us.
With Your strong and steady hand,
You hold us in the storm.
And when we sink from the weight of fear and doubt
We reach for You, knowing that You save us.

Upheld by your strength, we commit to
Listen to the unheard voices and know them by name,
Love our neighbor out of the love that You have shown us,
Anchor ourselves in hope in the midst of injustice,
Pray for the people with whom we walk,
And give thanks in all circumstances.

Lord, weave us into your story.
Help us;
hold us.

4 comments:

  1. praying for you!
    is your favorite coffee shop cafe espresso???

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's actually cafe mulino bianco! across from paprika, if you know that place. it's on a very convenient route right from work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paprika is awesome- I went there with a missionary friend my last night of HNGR :-). I don't know the cafe... wish I was there and we could go together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather, the covenant you wrote with other interns is beautiful. I'm glad you took the time to focus your thoughts and capture your dependence on Him in words. I love how you likened it to Peter's journey. You are in my thoughts and prayers! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete