Monday, June 10, 2013

some first impressions

The Andes Mountains are always visible when you look to the north; good thing when you have a poor sense of direction.

It will be some time yet before I can say I have successfully taken public transportation on my own here.

The ground is cold and I am wishing I had brought some slippers (I think slippers is my new favorite word in Spanish - pantuflas).

The sun is hotter than any I have ever felt before.

Even with car horns honking and trucks rumbling by, the city feels peaceful.

I feel surprisingly normal here, whatever that means. It hasn't been a shock to my system, it has not been jarring, and while I make many mistakes, even speaking in Spanish does not feel all that strange.

Gracias a Dios, I arrived safely and am now with a warm and welcoming family. This week will be full of visiting, meeting, adjusting, and familiarizing. Prayers for a smooth visa application process (part II) and for an open mind to all the newness of this week are appreciated. I'll share more later, when more has happened.

2 comments:

  1. I love the word pantuflas :) I will use it ALL THE TIME in conversation. I am so happy the adjustment has been smooth. Praying it continues smoothly and that you find your rhythm and place over there. Got your package today! T and J and I opened it last night on the floor and read your card out loud. You are so thoughtful. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm so glad you got the package! Love ya. Keep me updated on your life too, ok?

    ReplyDelete