Monday, June 17, 2013

a slow start

A week has passed and I am still alive & well here in Coch. I am constantly in surprise at the Lord's timing and the way that He is supporting me even when I am not seeking Him out.

The past week has in many ways been slow, which I think overall is a good thing.  It has allowed me time to breath as I adjust to my new home, but has also left me a little impatient. The pace is different here, and I knew it would be--however, this unfortunately does not just mean that lunch often comes at 3 in the afternoon instead of 12:30, but also means that it is taking a little longer than I expected for things to "get started" with my internship at Mosoj Yan.

the view from the back of the house
















In the past week, I spent two days working on Mosoj Yan's website, which is currently under construction; one day with the other volunteers (who are from France and Germany) selling food on the streets in Quillacollo to raise funds for MY; two days taking "cultural orientation" classes at a language school nearby; and three days with my host family eating lots of food in each others' homes. All good things, to be sure, though not what I expected (but fear not, HNGR office! I am learning to hold my expectations loosely).

I am excited to finally be going to Casa Albergue tomorrow, and el Centro de Motivacion on Wednesday. And I am learning to be grateful for the time I had to move slower, as I am beginning to see the fruit of it. I am sure I will be wishing for it as soon as things get busier.

Pray that I would learn patience, that I would become more aware of the ways that God is at work in this time, and that it would become clear how I should go forward in the visa process (options are to "overstay" my current visa for three months and pay a fine, or apply for temporary residency). Praise that God has brought me safe thus far and that I am well!

dusk at the house
























I'll leave you all here with the last bit from Hild's prayer (614-680):

"If I am weak, I ask that you send only what I can bear.
If I am strong, may I shrink from no testing
that shall yield increase of strength or win security for my spirit.

I trust in Thee, O Lord. I say, 'Though art my God.
My times are in Thy hand, my times are in Thy hand.'"

3 comments:

  1. love that prayer, & still missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the last two lines of that prayer, Heather! Sounds like things may have picked up this week, but do use the slower or down time to be still and listen. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Hild's prayer! Celtic Daily Prayer is my all-time favorite prayer book.

    That view is so familiar. Oh my heart.

    Praying for you! Loved your assessment letter. Response coming.

    ReplyDelete